Do you love your dogs? If so, you’re probably always looking for ways to make your home more dog-friendly. After all, dogs are a part of the family! Here are 20 ways to create a dog-friendly space in your home that will make both you and your furry friend happy.
- Install a dog door. This is the perfect way to give your dog access to the backyard whenever they need it.
- Create a designated spot for your dog’s bed or crate. Dogs love having their own space where they can feel safe and comfortable. Putting your dog’s bed or crate in a designated spot will help them feel at home. And don’t worry creating a dog-friendly space doesn’t mean your home has to suffer. There are plenty of crates that look like furniture. Or you can build your own frame or just add a pretty blanket over it.
- Set up a feeding station. Get more creative than just putting out their food and water bowls. Try adding a feeding table or even a mini fridge specifically for your dog’s food. For some dogs, it’s healthier for them to eat their food in an elevated position, so consider keeping your dog’s food bowl off the ground. Make sure to keep extra food hidden away from curious pups.
- Install a dog shower. If your dog likes to get wet and dirty outside, it can be helpful to have a place where they can clean up without tracking dirt through the house. A dog shower is perfect for this!
- Paint the room or space for your dog in colors that will feel soothing or emotionally calming to your pet. Creating a dog-friendly space shouldn’t be limited to your floor. Many veterinarians choose blue and violet to create their doggy or pet friendly decor in their offices. It’s helpful to understand what is calming to your pet before choosing a paint color. Pets tend to see colors in more muted shades than humans, so knowing this can help you choose colors that will be more appealing and comforting to them.
- Add dog toys and games to the living room. Dogs love playing with their humans! Having some dog toys in the living room is a great way to keep your dog occupied while you’re watching TV or reading a book.
- Provide an outdoor dog house for your beloved canine to use. Dogs love being outside, but sometimes the weather can get too hot or cold for them. A dog house will provide them with shelter when they’re outdoors so that they don’t have to be exposed to extreme temperatures all day long!
- Create a designated play area for your dog. Dogs need plenty of exercise, and if you create a dog-friendly space in your home as a play area, it will be the perfect spot to let them unwind and relax in a place they can call their own. You can also create a designated play area for them to run around and burn off some energy. Try setting up this area in the backyard for your pet to blow off some steam.
- Install a pet gate. If you have small children or other pets in the home, installing a pet gate can be a great way to keep your dog contained in one area while they’re playing or eating. It will also help prevent accidents from happening by keeping everyone safe and out of harm’s way!
- Build a dog run. If you want to make sure that your dog always has access to fresh air and sunshine, building a dog run is a great idea! You can also use this space as storage for toys and other supplies.
- Add a tent anywhere. Dogs love tents! If you have a spare room in your home or even an unused corner, set up a tent for your dog to play in. They’ll love having their own private space and will probably spend hours inside of it!
- Install faux flooring. Dogs don’t always understand why they’re not allowed on the furniture, so adding faux flooring will give them a place where they can sit and be comfortable. This is also great if you have children who like to climb furniture too! Faux flooring looks just like carpet but doesn’t get worn down by use over time—perfect for dogs!
- Make a ball pit. If you have a lot of extra space in your backyard, consider turning it into a ball pit for your dog! They’ll love playing in the balls and chasing them around. Plus, it’s a great way to keep them entertained for hours on end.
- Create a sand pit. If your dog loves to dig, why not create a dedicated area where they can dig to their heart’s content. You buy a covered sandbox at the toy store or just dig a hole and fill it with sand. This can get messy though, so perhaps build a fence or barrier to try and keep the sand contained. You can also play hide and seek games with your dog by burying (easily washable) toys in the sand for them to find.
- Get a slide. Dogs love slides! You can build one or get an inexpensive plastic slide at the store. It will keep your dog entertained for hours and give them plenty of exercise while they’re at it.
- Install hooks. If you have a lot of dog supplies, such as leashes, toys, and food bowls, installing hooks can be a great way to organize everything. This will also help keep your home looking neat and tidy! If you have the space, you can also create a dedicate closet for all their supplies.
- Create an outdoor obstacle course. Dogs love obstacle courses! You can set one up in your backyard using items that you already have around the house, such as chairs and tables.
- Make a dog bed out of an old tire. If you have any old tires lying around, turn them into a new dog bed! It’s easy to do and will keep your pup comfortable while they’re sleeping or taking naps during the day. Don’t forget their favorite blanket or chew toy!
- Make a doghouse under the stairs. This is such a cute idea! You can easily turn those unused areas under the stairs into a cozy dog house. It’s perfect if you have small dogs or puppies who need an indoor place to stay while they’re growing up.
- Dog tunes. play a dog song in your home office. Yes, music specifically for dogs is a thing! Dogs need love too, and what better way to show them your love than by including their favorite song in your office environment while you work from home? You can find a variety of dog songs online that will play every time you open up your computer. It’s a great way to start the day or get through a tough work project!
And for a bonus:
21. Put up a mirror. Dogs love looking at themselves in mirrors, and it’s a great way to keep them occupied when you’re busy doing other things around the house. It’s also great for the times when they’re feeling alone or sad because they can see their reflection and feel a little better about themselves!
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to make your pet feel welcome and loved in your house. Just create a dog-friendly space in your home both inside and outside! By following these tips, both you and your furry friend will be able to enjoy spending time together in the comfort of your own home.